Following The Green Register’s 2017 Hot Topic: ‘The Renewables Revolution’, this annual event returns for 2018 featuring a day of talks and illustrated case studies celebrating timber in all its myriad uses in construction.
The speakers are from a wide variety of disciplines including architects, contractors, community self builders, engineers and technical detailing experts.
Join us for some healthy debate on the topic, great networking and festive food and drink!
Most construction professionals appreciate that the building materials we specify have some kind of negative impact on the environment, whether it is high embodied energy, short life span or inability to reuse the product at the end of its useful life.
There is, however, just one building material that could be described as carbon neutral – timber. Providing it is sourced from sustainably managed forests, wood absorbs as much CO2 during tree growth as the timber product emits at the end of its life.
Coupled with this is the fact that timber has a huge variety of uses in construction from structural frames, external cladding, internal finishes, insulation, furniture and even as a fuel to heat buildings.
The construction industry is responsible for nearly half the carbon emissions of the UK and as we move towards the exacting and legally binding government targets to reduce emissions down to 80% below 1990 levels, specifying timber is an obvious and sustainable choice to help us achieve this goal.
- A critical analysis of forestry practices in the UK and beyond
- Case studies of Zaha Hadid architect’s new Forest Green Rovers building and the innovative cross-laminated timber (CLT) building for Vitsoe
- A contractor’s and a structural engineer’s perspective on using timber in construction
- The specification of wood fibre products
- Technical detailing of fixings for timber products
- Attendance is a must for those who are interested in using the (possibly) only carbon natural building material in their projects.
- James Allen, E&M West Ltd
- Robert Borruso, Community Self Builder
- Matt Harrison, White Design
- Richard Hatfield and Malcolm McMahon, Greenheart Sustainable Construction Ltd
- Alastair Ogle, Waugh Thistleton Architects
- Victor Orive, Zaha Hadid Architects
- Paul Southcott, HECO Schrauben / Aptus Fastener Systems Ltd
- Neil Turner, Ecological Building Systems
Programme coming soon…
What have our delegates said about Green Register seminars?
“All was useful, in depth and interesting – stimulating the mind!”
“Case studies and product information were particularly useful and applicable to my projects”
“Excellent specific examples!”
“Concise, covers a lot of information, good product guidance and good practice guidance”
BOOK 3 PLACES FOR THE PRICE OF 2!
Book 3 places at this event and get the 3rd place free. Book your places online as normal and we will deduct the cost of the 3rd place once your booking is received. This offer may not be used in conjunction with other offers.
EARLY BIRD RATES AVAILABLE
Early bird rates available for members and non-members – offer ends 30th September 2018.
Members – Early Bird (book by 30th Sept 2018) – £ 85.00
Non-Members – Early Bird (book by 30th Sept 2018) – £ 135.00
Members (from 1st Oct 2018) – £ 99.00
Non-Members (from 1st Oct 2018) – £ 149.00
To book you place please follow this link.
Time: 9:30 am - 5:30 pm
Location: The Foundation, St George's Road, Bristol, BS1 5EB